Christ and the Chocolaterie is an original, innovative and lively Lent course inspired by the film Chocolat, based on the bestselling novel by Joanne Harris. Using the film as a starting point for exploring issues about God, the world, and what it means to be human, Hilary Brand has designed five group sessions on the themes of:
- Giving up - the prelude to change
- Giving out - the power of a gift
- Getting wise - the possibility of change
- Getting real - the power of acceptance
- Growing up - the process of change.
Each session included extracts from the film, group discussion questions, exercises and meditations, suggestions for individual reading and related Bible passages. The book also includes appendices on the curious history of chocolate, the unfair economics of chocolate and ideas for a chocolate feast.